This blog goes with our fitness web site. The intention is to document my application of the principles we espouse at Fitness-Tips-over-40.com.

Doug, my accomplice in publishing Fitness Tips Over 40—who's a little closer to 60 than 40—is blogging his progress as well.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Following the Steps: Variety

Today was a day of following the steps that will bring fitness to the unmotivated.

Over the next few days, I'll address some of those steps. Follow them, and you can do the exercise you wish you were doing.

Stream on Wise Road in Auburn

Variety


It's difficult to find a place to run here in California. I'm out of state, so we're a one-car family. We're in the foothills of the Sierra, which is gorgeous, but nothing is flat.

The last couple days, variety meant calisthenics—some a little odd to keep me going.


An example of an "odd" calisthenic is a great all-body exercise I developed while I was playing on the island in our kitchen back home.

Get 2 chairs. Turn them so the seats are facing each other and there's just enough room for your hips between them. Kneel between them, and put your hands palm down and flat on the front edges of the chair (assuming that won't tip the chair).

Now try to lift your rear end back and up towards the ceiling like you think you can swing up into a handstand like a gymnast. Picture your shoulders and chest swinging up into a push-up position, except your legs can hang bent below you. Mind you, I can only move inches when I do this. Nonetheless, I can feel the work in my chest, shoulders, lats (middle back), triceps, and abs.

Today, I didn't want to do calisthenics; I didn't want to get very far from home; and I didn't want to run hills.

I thought for a minute about the fact that the house we're staying at has a long road front, some 300 yards. It is uphill to the end of the yard, but I thought I'd try speed-walking uphill. I like speed-walking as an alternative to running because it's easier on the knees. It also works the hips and glutes really well, which is something I need.

Actually, it's something all runners need. Having stronger glutes provides greater stability for the knee and prevents knee injuries when you're running. (You can learn how to do it here.)

I warmed up with an easy power walk to the end of the yard, uphill, then another easy walk back, downhill. The next two times, I timed the uphill. The second lap I just walked fast. The third lap, I concentrated on good race-walking technique and went as fast as I could. My thighs were burning because it was almost like sprinting uphill for 300 yards. I timed that lap as a goal to try to beat before I leave California. The fourth lap, I worked on long-distance technique, being as smooth as possible but not rushing. The fifth lap was more relaxed, and after that I took a short, gentle, warm-down walk on the most level road around and took pictures of a creek nearby (above).

By the time I add on injury-prevention exercises I try to do every day I'll have well over 30 minutes of at least moderate exercise today.

No comments:

Post a Comment