This blog goes with our fitness web site. The intention is to document my application of the principles we espouse at Fitness-Tips-over-40.com.

Doug, my accomplice in publishing Fitness Tips Over 40—who's a little closer to 60 than 40—is blogging his progress as well.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Failing and Succeeding at the Same Time

Fortunately, this blog is about applying the principles that are found at Over 40 Fitness Tips and not about how good I am at meeting fitness goals.

I haven't run at all this week; at least not anything significant. I'm in California, living in an RV for a couple months, working at a coffee shop, and running has not been convenient.

As a result, my exercise amounts have not been as good as I would have wished.

So, in the sense of carrying out my fitness plan, I'm failing badly.

However, in the sense of applying the principles of fitness found at Over 40 Fitness Tips, I'm doing awesome.


Dieting for the Unmotivated


I wrote on our Lose Weight for Free page that I had found a way to lose weight without going hungry and without avoiding snacks.

It's working awesome!

I'm still keeping the spinach leaves around, and I munch on them like I'm a rabbit or sloth every afternoon to help curb my appetite at dinner. (If that doesn't sound very palatable to you, I give many alternate suggestions.) I do the same in the evening if I get the munchies.

Fortunately, though, I've faced very little late night hunger because we end up eating supper so late out here, usually after 7 pm, sometimes even later.


Exercise for the Unmotivated


Although, I've not exercised as much as I've wanted, I have been exercising. At some point each day, I do a couple of the more important exercises we recommend at our site. Thus, pretty much every day I stretch, get some push ups and various ab exercises done, do some isometrics for the more difficult to work lat muscles, and keep my back supple and strong.

Yesterday, I had to get our Suburban repaired and get work done. So I threw my computer bag over my shoulder and walked a mile as rapidly as possible to a coffee shop that had internet access. Along the way I took a detour to the post office.

On Sunday, walked uphill a mile with my son to take pictures of a lovely creek that cascades down the mountain that we're staying on. We took a couple detours on that walk, too, following two trails to the creek that we hoped weren't on anyone's land (there's "no trespassing" signs everywhere out here on the I-80 corridor in the foothills of the Sierras).


On the way down, I forced my son to run with me some.

I've gotten in sets of deep knee bends and lunges while waiting around for people and events. There's always odd moments with nothing to do when stretches and exercises can be fit in. (In fact, the majority of some very necessary prayer has come in those odd moments as well while I'm here.)

So although I'm not meeting my plan at the moment, I'm not going backwards. When I get myself back on schedule, I'll be able to pick up right where I left off.

Better yet, because I've found out how to make proper eating so easy, I'm still losing weight and getting my blood pressure down.

You can do it, too. We can tell the motivated to look out, because we, the unmotivated, are on their heels!

No comments:

Post a Comment